Have you noticed that your arms are starting to look flabby lately? Have you avoided tank tops and sleeveless shirts due to body image concerns? Don’t feel bad if that’s the case because you’re not alone.
Certain parts of our bodies begin to lose their shape as we get older, especially the muscles. Arm flab is a problem that affects a lot of senior citizens, but some exercises can help.
Combining a healthy diet, consistent physical activity, and muscle toning will give you the ingredients necessary for a successful recipe to get the upper arms you desire.
In this article, we will go over why we get flabby arms, tips on how to deal with them, and the best flabby arm exercises for seniors that can help tone and tighten your arms.
Continue reading this article if you want to get rid of your flabby arms once and for all!
What Causes Flabby Arms?
Excess fat gain in common areas of the body, like the arms and thighs, usually results from a combination of factors. There are several causes, many of which have to do with getting older.
As we age, our body begins to slow down. When our metabolism slows down, our bodies can’t burn as many calories as we used to, even if we maintain the same level of physical exertion.
The lack of collagen also plays a massive role in developing flabby arms in seniors. Your skin’s elasticity and smoothness depend on collagen, but as you get older, your body produces less of it. Hence, our skin loses thickness, moisture, and elasticity.
The loss of collagen leads to wrinkling formation not just on your face but on your arms as well, making your skin look saggy.
Best Exercises for Flabby Arms
Following are the best flabby arm exercises for seniors that you can do to tone your arms and get rid of loose skin ASAP!
The goal of upright rows is to strengthen your upper arms and back. They will also help you get rid of flabby arms. When you are doing this exercise, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. Never arch your back because doing so is considered poor form. Instead, maintain a straight posture.
In addition, focus on your breathing to improve your overall performance. When performing this exercise, it is best to take a breath in during the upward movement and let out during the downward movement.
- To begin this workout, you should stand with your feet about shoulder-width apart.
- You should be standing, holding your weights in front of your hips with both hands.
- Next, bring the weights up toward your chin while bending your elbows and lifting them upward.
- After that, proceed to return to the initial position.
It is an effortless exercise that requires nothing more than your choice of two dumbbells to perform. Arm circles are an excellent exercise for strengthening your shoulders and back and toning your triceps and biceps.
- Holding two dumbbells in each hand, extend your arms straight to the sides of your body while standing or sitting.
- Perform circular motions without bending your wrists or elbows. Switch the motion after approximately 10 to 20 rotations by rotating the arms in the opposite direction.
- To build up more resistance and tone the muscles in your arms, you can speed up the arm rotations or use heavier weights.
Balance is the key to success when it comes to arm toning for seniors. It is essential to keep your biceps strong and toned at the same time that you are working on your triceps.
This simple weightlifting exercise will significantly assist you in reducing the amount of fat in your arms. If you want to see your body transform into a more toned and fit version of yourself, all you need is a dumbbell in each hand and the determination to see it happen.
- In a standing position, hold a dumbbell in each hand while letting your arms hang by your sides in a relaxed manner.
- Raise the weights, keeping the palms of your hands facing forward as you hold the dumbbells until they barely touch the chest.
- Now, bring your hands back to the starting position as slowly as possible. The slow motion generates tension, which is essential for the muscle-building process.
The tricep kickback is an excellent at-home exercise program to burn stubborn arm fat. It will not only help your flabby arms but also give you more strength so you can carry out daily tasks like getting out of a chair, carrying groceries, and lifting your grandchildren.
You have the option of doing this exercise while sitting or standing. Because many people perform bicep curls rather than tricep kickbacks, arm movement is crucial in this exercise.
- To begin, bend forward at the hips while maintaining a straight back.
- Raise your elbows to parallel your rib cage while holding a dumbbell in each hand.
- Ensure that your elbows are locked before extending your arms backward. In this manner, you draw the hand back by flexing your triceps.
- For better results, you can change the kickbacks’ speed.
Overhead Elbow Extension
Overhead elbow extensions are a great exercise to help your upper arm muscles become more robust. This is important for lowering the appearance of flabby arms and increasing one’s ability to reach items stored on higher shelves.
- To get started with this exercise, take the weight in one hand and bring the other arm up so that it is behind your head.
- You should then bring your arm back to the starting position after extending it upward (toward the ceiling).
- You can make this exercise more manageable by holding onto your elbow while you do it. This will provide support for the arm that you are exercising.
- Both sitting and standing are valid positions for carrying out this exercise.
Tips on Getting Rid of Flabby Arms
While exercising is very important when it comes to getting your arms in shape, some factors that might be contributing to weight gain and loose skin need to be in check.
- Identify The Cause
Are your arms flabby because you’ve lost muscle mass or because you have excess fat? If it’s the former case, you must focus on strength-training exercises to build up the muscles. If it’s the latter, you must focus on cardio and diet changes to reduce body fat.
- Cut Down On Sugar And Refined Carbs
Overeating sugar and refined carbs leads to weight gain, contributing to a flabby arms appearance. Limit these foods and replace them with healthier options like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Stay Hydrated
Drinking plenty of water helps to keep your skin looking toned and healthy – plus, it’s good for your overall health. Shoot for eight glasses of water daily or more if you’re active or live in a hot climate.
- Get Enough Sleep
Getting adequate rest is essential for overall health and well-being – including the health of your skin. Make sure you get seven to eight hours of sleep each night, and give yourself time to relax and unwind before bedtime.
- Take Collagen Supplements
Collagen supplements will help tighten the skin, giving your face and arms a tight look. As the daily dosage of collagen supplements is unknown, you should consult a doctor before taking these supplements.
Exercise is the best thing you can do for your health and to eliminate flabby arms. If you want to live like your twenties during your sixties, then grab those dumbbells today and start sweating.
As you can see, attaining the toned arms you desire can be done at any age, even in your senior years. However, you must commit to making healthy food choices and engaging in physical activity regularly.
First, you need to work on your muscle mass, and then you can worry about your fat. When you look in the mirror, you won’t be disappointed with how your arms appear after including these workouts in your daily routine.
Embark upon your fitness journey and say goodbye to flabby arms. Rediscover your confidence and strength with these ultimate flabby arm exercises for seniors